St. Aiden's N.S.
(Scoil Naomh Aodháin),
Monasteraden,
Co. Sligo.

   

In 1870 there was a school in Monasteraden, which was divided into seperate girls' and boys' sections.

There were 138 boys and 158 girls on the roll and the average attendance was 48 and 51 respectively.

The present school 'St. Aiden's N.S.' stands in the village of Monasteraden(Mainistir Aodháin) on the western shores of Lough Gara. It is a three teacher school and was officially opened in 1974 by Dr. James Fergus, Bishop of Achonry 1947 - 1976.  

 A further extension was built in 2008 and this was officially opened by Minister O'Keeffe (Minister for Education and Science) in November 2008

The current staff consists of Anne Moriarty ( Principal), Marian Nally (Deputy Principal), Cathy Jordan (Class Teacher),  Ruth Towey (Learning Support Teacher),Margaret Colson (Resource Teacher)

The following teachers have taught in St. Aidens - David O'Gara, Principal 1st March 1977 - 31st December 2011; Christy Greaney, Principal 1974 - 1977; Marie Sharkey, Teresa Murtagh, Nuala Cahill, Mary Fitzmaurice, Seamus Devaney, Ruth Connor, Margaret Duffy, Mary Carr and Barbara Doyle R.I.P

 

Diocese:         Achonry                       Parish:                              Ballaghaderreen

Principal:        Anne Moriarty             Chairperson B.O.M.         Fr. Joseph Gavigan

Enrolment:     61                                Staff:                                  3 + 2 shared

The above school is an amalgamation of the following schools: Coolavin, Clooncunny, Townaghbrack and Cross.

 

 Clooncunny N.S.
(St. Michael's)   
Clooncunny,
Co. Sligo.
 
clooncunny N.S.

 

St. Michael's National School had the distinction of being the southernmost school in County Sligo. It is in the parish of Ballaghaderreen. It stands on the southern shore of lower Lough Gara near Clooncuny Bridge.

The school was built and opened in 1894 with husband and wife John and Mary Finnegan as teachers. their daughter, Una Staunton, also taught there.

Children from Derrycongh came to school by boat across the lake, probably until Kingsland N.S. was built.

Teachers who taught in Clooncunny were John  and Mary Finnegan, Una Staunton, Brigid Keenan, Mary Ellen Leheny, Mary Finnegan, Mary Casey, Winifred Finnegan,Tom Healy, Linda Doherty, Pauline Forkin, Mary Flannery, Miss Reid, Una

Queenan, Mrs B. Surlis and Marie Sharkey. Clooncunny closed in December 1973. Marie Sharkey joined the staff of St. Aiden's N. S.

 

 
Coolavin N.S.
(Corner of the O'Finn's),
Monasteraden,
Co. Sligo.
 
Coolavin school

 

 

Coolavin National school was built in 1871. There were 2 sections - Boys and Girls. It probably replaced the old Monasteraden Boys' and Girls' schools.

In 1936 the boys and girls schools became one and in 1967 pupils from Townaghbrack National School which closed, transfered to Coolavin.

Coolavin N.S. closed its doors for the  last time in December 1973 and the pupils and teacher Teresa Murtagh moved to the new St. Aiden's N.S.

The following staff are recorded John Casey, Mary Coleman, Winifred Casey, Nora Teresa Lavin, Kate Flaherty, Bridie P. Jackson, Mary Kate Corcoran, Miss M. Spelman, Hannah Tynan,  Catherine Casey, Mary Finnegan,

 

 

 

Townaghbrack N.S.
(Townagh Breac Speckled Field)
 Gurteen,
Co. Sligo.

Townaghbrack N.S.

 

This renowned school was known as 'College in the Bog'. It attracted pupils from as far away as Achill and they boarded in local houses. Othe pupils walked from Ballaghaderreen and other distant places.

James Hannon, later Principal in Annaghmore walked the 10 miles round trip every day from Kilfree to Townaghbrack. Such was the hunger for education in late nineteenth century rural Ireland.

The man whose excellance as a teacher was known so widely, was Master Thomas Cryan, Principal of the Boys division at Townaghbrack. Built in 1883, the school had two classrooms, one for boys and one for girls.

Master Cryan's wife was Principal in the girls room and there was an assistant teacher in each room also. Initially a four teacher school,  it was reduced to one teacher in 1957.

The school closed in 1967 and the remaining nine pupils transfered to Coolavin N.S. which later amalgamated with St. Aiden's.

Teachers who taught in Townaghbrack included Master and Mrs Cryan, Master Corcoran, Mr Needham, Mrs O'Grady, Mr. Casey, Pauline Forkin and Mrs B. Surlis.    

 

 

 St. Attracta's N.S.
Cross National School
Cross,
Edmondstown,
Ballaghaderreen.
Cross N.S.

 

St. Attracta's N.S. (Cross N.S.) was built in 1886. It was in the parish of Ballaghaderreen. There were two classrooms in the school. The last two teachers were Mr. Reid (Principal) and Mrs Kierans.

Master Reid taught the senior classes and Mrs Kierans taught the Junior classes. There were two playgrounds and the boys and girls were not allowed to mix during play.

Children from the Cross catchment area now attend St. Aiden's N.S., Monasteraden.            

 Annie Stenson, Mary Cregg, Gertrude Finan, Brigid Coleman, Michael Brennan, and Richard Higgins .

Archives

Powered by mod LCA
Go to top